I thought it was the dish that ran away with the spoons?

Well, in the nursery rhyme it is but for me it's POTS!

Click this for an explanation of POTS

And this for an explanation of SPOONS



Wednesday 31 March 2010

Update on my career investigations...

I defintely want to be a learning mentor. It sounds excellent!

I don't however want to do a 3 year degree. I already have a degree, even though it's in an irrelevant subject. But because I do have that, I can do a masters degree (1 year) in Learning and Teaching :-0 ! It won't cost as much money (or TIME! which is just as precious lol).

In order to do so, I'll need a job in a school. Unfortunately, the spanner in the works is that learning mentor jobs are hard to come by. My friend is one, and she was a TA first for a while- so here's my plan of action:

Complete my diploma in childcare and education. Set up a time when I can visit my friend in her school (maybe one day a week or something) where she works as a learning mentor, and work shadow her. That way, I can put down on my CV that I've had some experience as a learning mentor assistant.

Get a job as a TA. Going to ask the headteacher at the school where I've volunteered the past 5+ years if she would consider creating a vacancy for me. If not, I'll do everything I can to find one somewhere else.

Apply for the MA- I think it's a working practice based course so you need to have a job in a school first, so I might not be able to apply until I have a job, but fingers crossed if the head is willing to give me one, I might get one soon or if not this school year, I could at least say I WILL have one by September.

Keep my eyes open for a learning mentor position. If I'm doing an MA I will stand out above other candidates so give myself more chance of getting the role. Plus, the learning I will do whilst doing the MA will add to my skills and confidence.

I might be 27, it might have taken me a LONG time, it might have been a rocky road of fear, self doubt, sickness and indecision but finally, now AT LAST I know what I want to do. So now I can start making the steps to get there and DO IT!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment