I thought it was the dish that ran away with the spoons?

Well, in the nursery rhyme it is but for me it's POTS!

Click this for an explanation of POTS

And this for an explanation of SPOONS

Sunday, 19 September 2010

A very busy weekend and a nasty cough!

Last weekend was very busy. Too busy, really. I was stressed about it all week because of having to come off the florinef. Worrying how I could cope with being so busy and not having my medication to help.

Friday we showed my bfs Mum what we'd done with the place and then went carpet shopping. We picked 8 samples which we then narrowed down to 3, then narrowed down to 2 when I walked across them and discovered one was more 'rough'. We then eventually decided upon the carpet all 3 of us had liked in the shop because it was a nice warm colour and had flecks that matched the new fireplace.

Friday night, we went to the pub to meet some friends, my bf left early and I went out dancing with my friend- the place we usually go to (80s music) had changed the night and no longer do the 80s night (gutted!) so we went to a 90s night instead.

I had a terrible night when I got back to my bfs though. I had an episode of tachycardia that just wouldn't stop, despite the fact I was laying down. In the end I took a beta blocker (which I'd started carrying around with me just in case, since beginning to wean off florinef) and even that took a while before it slowed, so I happened to still be awake at 8am when my bf left to go golfing. Jeeze!

In the day after he got back we just sat in the garden as it was thankfully nice and warm. We had a look through the Argos catalogue and talked about bathroom cabinets lol.

I went to bed for a bit around 4pm as I felt terrible, but couldn't sleep. Got ready for a family do bfs Auntie was throwing but was so tired I didn't feel very sociable and we left early. Unfortunately, I had another awful night. I fell to sleep but my bf woke me in night rolling on me and fidgeting. Then as I was trying to get back to sleep he sneezed and scared me to death by shouting CHOOOOOO! really loud. So then I was PISSED OFF. So we had a fight, he accused me of being nasty, and all of it added to my tachycardia and then I got the tremors really bad and was laying in bed shaking and THAT took ages to calm down. ugh!

So, come Sunday I was EXHAUSTED. I got up at 6.30am and got all my stuff together and was ready to leave by the time my bf got up at 8. I left at 8.15 for my first reflexology class- which was fantastic! Really interesting, tutor brilliant, met some great people. Shame I was sooo tired and started with a sore throat from all the missed sleep.

Monday I had to get up early to go to Scotland! The train journey up there was great, it seemed to fly by, my Uncle picked us up at the station and took us straight to the bungalow, where he and my Auntie Sandra were babysitting I. It was an awful, lashing it down with rain day, but I was tired from travelling so it was nice to just sit in the conservatory and meet the little relatives! We had a nice lunch in the dining room of home made pepper (I think it was) soup. K brought O over a couple of hours later and it was soooo cute how excited I was to see him. They are both so adorable.

Mum and I went to our hotel to unpack and had our evening meal there, then a walk along the beach as it had stopped raining. I wasn't feeling great with a sore throat so had taken TCP with me to gargle. When we got back to the hotel, KB was meeting us in the bar so I put some smarter clothes on and we went down and I had hot toddys for my sore throat/cold thing. 3 in all because they were so nice! Mum and KB had a nice chat and I added the odd thing in here and there. Then finally we went to bed. Oh, and it was my first day not taking a tablet because, as I was coming down with something, I decided I'd need my full immunity (or as full as it could be after being on tablets that suppress it somewhat) and I managed to climb the 3 flights of stairs to the room 3 times at least that day!!

On Tuesday we got up early as breakfast had to be finished by 8.30am (how cruel!) and after a "Scottish breakfast" (which is the same as an English breakfast and for me, minus black pudding, tomatoes and toast) me and my Mum climbed the Binn!!!! It was sooo scary near the top, because it was REALLY windy, and there wasn't a fence to stop you toppling off the edge!!!! And I get vertigo so add to that the strong gusting wind and the fact it had rained all day the day before so the very thin path was very slippy, and I was terrified. Practically crawling along clutching at the long grasses getting nettled and thistled and brambled in the process!!! But I didn't want to turn back even though I was so scared, and the end result was worth it!


Although, here's a funny story. The day before, my camera battery had been running out, so I only managed to take 3 photos and it stopped! Gutted!!!! After all that effort!!!! BUT on the way back down, after being even more gutted about how the light was shining perfectly on the sea and lighting up 2 chimneys over towards Edinburgh, I thought to myself (after about 15 minutes of being mad with myself for not thinking to bring the spare battery, and taking CRAP photos on my phone just to have some though feeling so miffed they wouldn't be even half as good as I could have taken with my camera)- this is the coat I always wear when out walking with Lee. In which I often carry a spare battery- so maybe it's in my pocket... and the funniest thing is, it just hadn't occurred to me despite the fact I KNEW that it was in there- that I keep the battery in the camera case- and I had already found the camera case in my coat pocket back at the hotel!!! so, this time, when I was actually THINKING ABOUT IT I touched the camera case and thought... maybe the battery is in here... AND IT WAS!!! But then I thought, oh no, it probably needs charging up but miracle of miracles IT DIDNT! FULLY CHARGED BABY! So I yelled my Mum and we climbed back up the little bit we'd come down and I got my pictures. :-) Yayness!

After this, we went back down and went to the bungalow where we had a nice lunch of cold chicken, ham and crackers. Then we went over to KB's flat to meet K and took O to the beach where he had a great time and really touched my heart by warming to me and coming up to me and taking my hand because he wanted to walk with me and to show me things. ahhh.

I also encouraged him to chase some seagulls- I could tell he'd never done it before and he was a little shy and hesitant at first but soon got into it and seemed to find it fun. After a little play on the playground we put him back in his buggy and took him to a little coffee shop where we had hot drinks. Then he captured my heart again by wanting my water bottle and then when I said 'it's Laura's he picked up his and looked at me and wanted to drink at the same time as me, so when I picked up mine and drank he would drink his and then smile all happy. Then when Auntie lifted him down he came over to me and got my hand and led me outside because he wanted to watch the cars and lorries go by on the road. There was a little table outside so I sat down on a chair with him on my knee and again, it felt so lovely. I miss having little ones on my lap. This is another reason I think working in a nursery will do me good. Although me and my bf decided not to have our own children, little ones do warm my heart and lift my emotions so working with them would be the best of both worlds for me- I can love them but not have the responsibility of having to raise them!

After the coffee shop my Grandma and Auntie took O home and me and Mum went down the high street to get food. I got a starter- chicken satay- from a chinese and Mum got a sausage roll and crisps from the co-op. We ate it in the hotel room while watching Neighbours. Which reminds me of an anecdote I missed- when we first arrived, the TV remote wasn't working. I asked for new batteries but the bloke who came to sort it out for us tried it and it worked! But then I went to turn TV up and it went DOWN instead of up and then the remote wouldn't work. So I went and asked for batteries again. Well, when we were at tea the bloke came over and was so patronising and said 'you see on this remote control- these buttons here with a plus and a minus? You press plus to change the volume up and minus to go down." LIKE AS IF WE DIDN'T KNOW THAT?! I snapped at him saying something like "We do know how to use a remote control and that is what I did but it did not work!" so he changed the remote and the batteries. Then everything was working fine, what a surprise!

Right, so after Neighbours we went over to the bungalow and Uncle drove us to M and P's to see baby I for the last time during this trip. She was so cute. Kept saying 'bow wow- bow wow!' especially after P put her to bed and she wanted to come back and be sociable with us- she was shouting it from her cot- it was soooo cute.
We went back and Mum and I read mags in the hotel before bed.

On Wednesday we went to the bungalow in the morning and Uncle dropped us off at the swimming baths where we went to watch O, then walked back- K took him home and the rest of us went back to the bungalow to sit in the conservatory- I had a snooze because my cold was making me feel soooo tired and my glands were swollen and hurting like they've never hurt before!!! About 12 we headed off to the town to the pottery cafe where me and Uncle had a nice jacket spud with tuna mayo and Auntie and Grandma had carrot and orange soup (Grandma let me taste hers, it was yummy!) and Mum had a scone. Then we walked along high street up and back down, then Uncle took us to the station and we travelled home.

Thursday and Friday I cancelled my clients as my 'cold' turned into a dreadful cough. Friday night I went to B's with M- 2 nice friends I made when I was a student doing my nursery placement last year- and had good fun and a good giggle, left at 9 due to not being well enough to go down town too, got chips from the chippy on way back... then today I have stayed home and not gone to my bf's so I can rest and get better for my birthday! It's been quite nice. Was a bit bored in the afternoon for a while after I'd visited Grandma and had a nice snooze on conny settee- but Mum rang me (yes rang me lol) to say Neighbours omnibus was on so we could watch the bits we missed when travelling home and when I was out last night. So laying on the bed watching that in her room was nice. Then we had tea and later watched X Factor together, I've had a nice hot bath and washed my hair, and tomorrow will be reading mags in conny how old Sunday mornings used to be- and having Sunday lunch at Grandma's. It's really, really nice being at home! I've missed the lazy, relaxed-ness of it, since with my bf things are always 'on the go'. Although if I did it every weekend I'd be bored and fed up, but it's lovely while convalescing.


  1. Aww I'm glad u got a nice day to relax at home after all of that, but it sounded so fun! Loved the photos as well. The little ones were quite the charmers you could tell. What cutie pies :) I feel the same way about children. I am absolutely crazy about them bc they're so sweet, but I don't want to have any myself. The joys of being an aunt :) I can spoil and play with them all I want... then send them home lol.

  2. Oh really? Wow that's cool, I've never met anyone else like me in that respect! All my friends tell me I'll change my mind when I'm older or look at me like I'm some kind of mutant lol- gets a bit annoying! I keep trying to add a pic of the Binn but my computer is being crazy! So frustrating.

  3. are you getting better now? Pei Pa Koa (www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm ) is one of the few Chinese natural cough remedies that have been scientifically studied. it's something like herb plus honey, and it's sweet, thick and black in color. If you have a cough, look for it! It used to be one of my favourite natural cough remedies.

    if your cough persists, seek professional help such as traditional Chinese medicine physicians - I have had very good experiences with them.

  4. Excessive use of drugs, be it prescription drugs or street drugs cause undue harm to one’s body. The pills that your doctor has prescribed strictly for you if taken by someone else will not only produce the opposite result but might also be the cause of addiction. Substance abuse in any form is dangerous. It has lead to adverse side effects, and leading to death more often than not. It might just start with a sniff at a frat party. But this single sniff will be the password to unlock a world full of uncertainty and painful existence.